Saturday, May 14, 2011

Greenie Me

I know its about a month since Earth Day but I wanted to share my Green experiences. Prior to having McKenzie I didn't really care about recycling or conserving resources. Since then its been the opposite. I don't know if its being a Mom or what but I've become a real greenie. I'm not a total tree hugger but here is what I have been doing.

1. Recycling
    The recycling center is just down from the house and I've been taking things there for about a year now. Just this month they've finally started picking up our recycling. I take plastic, aluminum, paper and glass. Now I can put all of that except the glass in the bin. I've been collecting at school and I even had a student bring me 2 HUGE bags of plastic to take to the center. I also take the Styrofoam trays/egg cartons and the plastic bags to Publix because they have recycling there. I've noticed we don't have as much trash in our can since I've been doing the recycling.

2. BYOB
     I also bring my own bags when i shop. I used to only do it at Publix but now I'll take them in to any store. Its easier to carry those bags than the plastic ones and they are cuter. It frustrates me when I go somewhere and I have no bags in the car. These bags are also great to take on trips or picnics because they hold so much.

3. Fresh Air and Natural Sunlight
      Our AC broke last month and while we were waiting to get a new one we opened the windows and let the fresh air in. It was so nice! Since then I've been turning off the air and opening the windows if it isn't too hot and humid. I know this will probably last only another month or so but its nice while it lasts.

4. Clothes Line
      One thing I've been wanting is a clothes line. I have a very shaded back yard so it isn't all that good for a clothes line. So yesterday I decided to get one and put it under our back deck (for those who have never seen my house most houses in North Georgia are split level so my basement isn't underground). Right now I have some of Dixie's blankets hanging on there. From what I understand the dryer takes up 3/4 of your power bill - hopefully I can save some money too!

5. Couponing
    I know this isn't really Earth friendly but it is saving me green!!! I've been cutting coupons for a while but never really used them to their full potential. Now I have them organized in a binder - they are in baseball card sleeves and separated into categories. I've got us down to $225 a month for groceries, toiletries, and pet food this way. And I don't go all over the place to shop. I shop at Publix- with buy one get one and the pet coupons and regular coupons I save a TON, and Target. This summer I'm going to try CVSing and Walgreening too!

Some things I'd like to do before the year ends
1. Herb garden
2. Veggie Garden
3. Composting
4. Collecting Rainwater

Have a wonderful day!!!

1 comment:

Merry Memories said...

Mrs. Lowe's art room could use those egg cartons!!! Just sayin' ;)